It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:34

All times are UTC

Post subject: early torp fighter theory
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 03:29 
Demon

when thinking about new strats, it usually falls against early torp + fighters...

be it double dd or even 20 col arm, since, to prevent it, one needs more than double fighters and usually those 'big' plans never have room for getting quad figthers at early times.

so, to make it the torp figher something at best, it would probably involve vaygr res mod transfer for double 3-30 torp + emp and mass swarming.

vay gives out the res to 1 hig, while hig makes his own res mod, the other hig goes 8 col (maybe with a mob) fighter rush and vaygr just pumps emp and fighters along side with about 10-12 cols. sell res mod if required to get emp early enough and level 1 speed. the fighter hig asks for res mod when possible to just get speed.

to finish the game off, hig probably needs marine and missile vettes to wipe out the cols and maybe bombers in case there is a sy.

the good thing about going small and fast is, facing torp/fighter will never really ruin this side. early bc will be totally pffted, early double dd might have a room when their cols are dead but since no one hypers cap ships to their base or have much frigs, dd is quite useless even if they pop. fast arm might be the only better solution.

this is gonna prolly win over 90% game...

Last edited by Hideki on 13 Oct 2007, 05:12, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: early torp fighter theory
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 04:50 
Evil Soul

Well for one, in the odd chance that someone goes early torp to massive fighter attack only on big maps like CB. Noticing it via scout, and abandoing your uber-leet strat is generally the best idea. And for 2, early torp to massive fighter rush is kinda a bad strat since you only need 2/3 as many int to defend your base while having third guy go big, making such a strat about as useless as trying to 7-8 coll fighter rush me on shield...

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 05:04 
Demon

well, clock... if everyone is so good to scout and adapt like baps, cool...

but im getting tired of people saying 'ok, this aint gonna work, coz of this move' and is kinda getting old, when every strat definately has a counter or we arent playing this game. instead, im just triyng to make a proof of concept by making extreme ideas and if u mix them in, in ur regular games with flexibility, that is a way to win...

not 'ok, its easy to defend pfft kthxbye, next idea plz?'

for one single fact, every single rush strat is bullshit in that sense, as rushing requires hyper mod and/or extra mobs, and if other side does exactly same build without them and awaits, u're just so dead. simple, but why do we still hyper cap and all that?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 05:13 
Demon

It does seem very possible.

The only things needed to assure victory would be a quick overwhleming swarm while torping cols on all 3 enemies.

This strat would also require a lot of synchonization with your allies, but it definetly is possible

(only counter i can think of right now is if they also did early fighter rush and gw (with bombers)

But if this strat is executed fast, it could be quite efficient.

(Last game I played (3:30 torp) I managed to kill over 20 cols with the vaygr res sharing to speed up my ht. Asumming this strat would provide fighter cover, defintly makes it in interesting idea to explore)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 20:09 
Biting dog

Like any other strat, this will win some games until players figure out how to deal with it, and then we all will go back to massing big huge fleets and place our bets on better ship handling/targetting to win the game.

Until then, let's do this thing.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 21:14 
Evil Soul

I could be wrong, but isn't this strat about as old as stone, or am I the only one thats countered this strats half a dozen or so times...

One nice thing about a (non-fighter) rush though, is all i have to do is beat you to the punch by 1 minute. So if enemy team see's what were doing 1 minute into the game via a scout - and tries to counter w/ the same exact strat, we'll have dd's/ions 1 minute before them and be able to pfft their colls and cc's before they can defend. Hyperspace costs and mob costs, don't slow down the time it takes to get an adv or dd research for the team. Only real slowdown is the time it takes to jump, but on smaller maps this isn't even an issue, and on bigger maps that extra jump time more or less equals the time it takes a scout to cross the map. Bottom line is you gotta react fast and rally your team to counter, and just because i don't have that silly Big Add Possie tag nxt to my name doesn't mean i'm not pro at doing that. ;)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 23:57 
Biting dog

The early torps with quick fighters is pretty old, and I think players gave it up after seeing a more powerful move that counters it - very early swarm from all 3 players, followed by destroyers.
But nowdays you can catch some players off guard by using it, since shipyard spams are so popular.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2007, 01:32 
Demon

This works extremly well in 2v2s on Crimson Bond. Players almost always expand to a 3 RU op and have a late GW. It's easy pickins.

Blessed are the dead
And now you are among them
Delivered form this mortal coil"

-Azrael, Angel of Death

Last edited by Azrael on 14 Oct 2007, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2007, 02:07 
Demon

it certainly says everyone never scouts...

everyone being picky about strat being newb, just has to know digging stuff to extreme give u more ideas...
just coz it aint gonna work all time, doesnt mean, u dont just go pfft at it... its not the point.