It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:36

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mod Unlocking (reverse research mod transfer)
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2007, 22:02 
Evil Soul

:!: Warning: Highly advanced shit. :!:

The regular old school res or adv mod transfer:
Player 2 has res or adv mod and passes it to player 1, so player 1 can do research or unlock adv frigs.

Mod Unlocking:
Player 2(vay/hiig) has res mod, player 1(hiig) passes his cc/ms to player 2 (one at a time) and gets them back. Player 1 can now build corv/frig/adv mods, but can't do any research (unless player 1 builds his own adv mod).
Note: If someone passes player 1 a ship w/ a res mod on it, this will screw up the effects of the 'mod unlocking'. You can still do the regular adv mod transfer, but the ship w/ the adv mod can't have a res mod on it.

Old method for typical skilled games: Using the regular adv mod transfer. Everyone builds res mod, only one person gets adv mod.
Benifits:Saves time and ru (2x adv = 4500ru *ru savings based on 3v3 all hiig situations*).
Downsides:Gotta pass the adv mod around.

New method for complex rush moves: Using mod unlocking and the regular adv mod transfer. Only one guy gets res mod, and adv mod. (res and adv must be on different ships, so res on ms, adv on cc)
Benifits:Save time and a lot of ru (2x res mod + 2x adv mods = 7500ru for whole team).
Downsides:To any do research, you have to pass the adv mod ship around a lot. So this is best for small maps.

New method for long games on big maps: Using mod unlocking only. Only one guy gets res mod, everyone else gets own adv mod.
Benifits:Saves time and some ru (2x res mod = 3000ru for whole team). Everyone can do their own lv2 researchs w/ out transfering adv around.
Downisides: This is more expensive (2x adv mod - 2x res mod = 1500ru more) than the regular adv mod transfer in situation OLD - but you wont have to do any adv mod transfers. So this is best used in for big maps that require lots of research.

Mod unlocking is a very cool and advanced strat that can be applied to any build - except maybe my 8:15 bc rush via vaygr res mod transfer - lol.

*note back when this thread was made, i dubed mod unlocking, 'reverse research mod transfer'
*edited many times for nuby typing -_- lol

Last edited by cloaked on 28 Jan 2008, 08:08, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Reverse Research Mod Transfer
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 00:30 
Demon

hmm yes, we've used it in several occassions, but never much...
it can be quite a killer though...

hmm... say, vs xeno bro, vay goes usual fighters, hig goes cap fac after fighter mod... borrows res mod, gets dd research... 8-)

or even, plat mod + fighter, and get ion plats quite fast.
or simply massing torps very early is good too though but i guess u need own res mod to start getting improved torp for that.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 00:38 
Evil Soul

Hid your thinking of the regular vay res transfer. What i've posted above is the 'Reverse res transfer'. The reverse res mod transfer is used to build hiig corv/frig/adv mods w/out a res mod. This technique is not used to do research. In the reverse res mod transfer you can't do any research, you can simply build corv/frig/adv mods w/out ever owning your own or a teamates res mod.

If your still confused :roll: I'll show you in game. Regular res mod transfer is a pretty old and common strat but i don't know how new 'reverse res mod transfer is' as i only know a few players that know about it and use it.

Edit: I'm making major changes to the first post so hang on a bit.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 01:37 
Demon

yes i was confused :cry: but i know it once u told me i was confused...

Post subject: Re: Reverse Research Mod Transfer -Edit:I'm fucking awesum-read
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 02:27 
Evil Soul

OK post is now edited and back up. HeHe i learned something while writing the post - a way to combine the regular adv transfer w/ my 'Reverse research mod transfer'. Read about why i'm feeling so fucking awesum right now. :D

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 08:35 
Little puppy

Hideki wrote:
yes i was confused :cry: but i know it once u told me i was confused...

You, AO, Vec, AoDs and I all labbed this at various times over the last year. Maybe you forgot. Have only very rarely used it in games, though.

Lyrae and Lacertae (and also Prix?) have done it a lot, even with random teammates. I had a game with them like 6 months ago where, after I finished Res, they transferred their MSs and CCs to me one at a time and then asked for each back. Because they didn't tell me what they were doing, I thought at first they accidentally gave me stuff they meant to give to each other. Took a min for the Image to turn on ...

PS: One obvious drawback - if that Res mod goes down, the transferees lose the ability to build/re-build all facs/mods that require Res. Anyone countering this should consider that when picking bomber targets ...

cloaked wrote:
Player 2(vay/hiig) has res mod, player 1(hiig) passes his cc/ms to player 2 (one at a time) and gets them back, player 1 can now build corv/frig/adv mods, but can't do any research (unless player 1 builds his own adv mod).

PPS: I could be wrong, but I seem to recall this doesn't work if Hiig player passes MS/CC to Vaygr player with Res. The only way to make this work using Vaygr Res is on a 3-player team where Vaygr passes ship with Res to Hiig1, and then Hiig2 does the MS/CC transfer to Hiig1. (Also, if Hiig1 eventually gets his own Res, he can pass back the Vaygr Res to Vaygrdude without Hiig2 losing any build options.)

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 09:36 
Evil Soul

Hand wrote:
PS: One obvious drawback - if that Res mod goes down, the transferees lose the ability to build/re-build all facs/mods that require Res. Anyone countering this should consider that when picking bomber targets ..."

I can live w/ that drawback, cause by the time swarm battle takes place, and if i on the rare chance I loose swarm badly w/ skilled teamates - I will already have all the frig/corv/whatever mods that i need to build and wont care if you bomb our teams res mod.

Hand wrote:
Hideki wrote:
cloaked wrote:
Player 2(vay/hiig) has res mod, player 1(hiig) passes his cc/ms to player 2 (one at a time) and gets them back, player 1 can now build corv/frig/adv mods, but can't do any research (unless player 1 builds his own adv mod).

PPS: I could be wrong, but I seem to recall this doesn't work if Hiig player passes MS/CC to Vaygr player with Res. The only way to make this work using Vaygr Res is on a 3-player team where Vaygr passes ship with Res to Hiig1, and then Hiig2 does the MS/CC transfer to Hiig1. (Also, if Hiig1 eventually gets his own Res, he can pass back the Vaygr Res to Vaygrdude without Hiig2 losing any build options.)

Ok so this works best btw hiig players then. But if i wanted to do a 9min bc w/ vay res transfer, what if vay passes res to hiig1, hiig2 passes ships to hiig1 and gets them back. Now hiig1 should be able to simply pass the vay res mod back to the vay player and have hiig2 get fast 9min bc (while hiig1 does his own res mod). Based on logic alone this should likely work, but if you've labbed it and proved otherwise let me know.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 11:22 
Little puppy

cloaked wrote:
Hand wrote:
PS: One obvious drawback - if that Res mod goes down, the transferees lose the ability to build/re-build all facs/mods that require Res. Anyone countering this should consider that when picking bomber targets ...

I can live w/ that drawback, cause by the time swarm battle takes place, and if i on the rare chance I loose swarm badly w/ skilled teamates - I will already have all the frig/corv/whatever mods that i need to build and wont care if you bomb our teams res mod.

Right, there's only a problem if they strip both the fac and the Res mod, but that's exactly how ppl often counter hypercap. The downside here is that killing one Res mod is like killing both teammates' Res mods in a 'normal' game.

cloaked wrote:
Ok so this works best btw hiig players then. But if i wanted to do a 9min bc w/ vay res transfer, what if vay passes res to hiig1, hiig2 passes ships to hiig1 and gets them back. Now hiig1 should be able to simply pass the vay res mod back to the vay player and have hiig2 get fast 9min bc (while hiig1 does his own res mod). Based on logic alone this should likely work, but if you've labbed it and proved otherwise let me know.

Hiig1 can't pass back the Vaygr Res until 1) Hiig2 has *finished building* all mods that require Res mod, or 2) Hiig1 finishes building his own Res mod.

It's like when you're building a frig fac, arm, hype, etc. If you sell your Res mod before those other mods/facs finish building, the build gets cancelled.

Post subject: Re: Reverse Research Mod Transfer *WARNING CRAZY ADVANCED SHIT!*
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 05:19 
Biting dog

It seems like we're reinventing the wheel in here....

Post subject: Re: Reverse Research Mod Transfer *WARNING CRAZY ADVANCED SHIT!*
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 05:42 
Demon

arent we all... at least its good to keep them as a record, so no one else will reinvent this 100 times...