It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:54

All times are UTC

Post subject: Questions from the howto vids
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2008, 23:26 
Demon

Quote:
from plat strat thread : BTW do you use the arrow keys to pan alot when you play? If so could you talk about that a little, your cammera movment is hella smooth watching your games and it has me thinking i've been doing it wrong all these years.

i use arrow keys to move around the map and use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out. I think this is the typical method. I do have "pan cam at edge of screen" option turned off, but I don't think it hurts it to be on as well. i haven't really bothered to alter key bindings, so everything is at default. space for sensor view and all. but there could be a better way to play with binding thats more suited for a player.

Quote:
from extra cap ship thread : Yea i was wondering about a few points in this one. I couldn't tell if you were still tring to work of the kinks or if you were doing things "just in case" like starting and pausing fighter mods when you did, or canceling the inti research and not restarting it until much later (300 would've lagged you 10 seconds max).

yeah, the vids werent meant to show the best possible optimized build, so, there are few rough moves here and there... but as for the pause of plat mod and fighter mod, that was supposed to be for 'just in case', since, if one side rushes with 8-10 cols, you're supposed to get plat defense (at least in shield), and then probably spam double ints to suppress the rush. so, i just somewhat simulated that. I just hate to make a strat when it falls to certain moves, it has to be flexible enough to swap to other strat once other side does some sudden moves.

as for cancelling int speed research, i just wanted some quick ru, when i probably didn't need speed 1 when i only had 4 or so ints and the fight will probably not start too soon. and if you keep lagging 10 seconds here and there, your strat start to look very late compared to someone who only use ru where really required, so, trying not to lag is quite important, at least until your strat shapes up before the fight. if you can only pump a dd at 8 min, when someone can get 2 at 7 min, you're pretty toast.

Post subject: Re: Questions from the howto vids
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 00:21 
Biting dog

Thanks hid this thread is going to be helpful. I'll try remember things that confused me at first and ask them even if i know the answers now to help others. Idealy it would be nice to take down the learning curb on new players to a point where they are good enuf to play in a skilled 3v3 within 20 hours of online play and not be totally lost. even if they've never been on a team that mod xfers for research bonuses if they are famaliar with the concept a simple "here's my ms, build a ARM on it and give it back" the newbie wouldn't be like "what!?! f.u. k? i'm keeping it dumbass lol!1!"

Ultimately a clear training path would be nice but I think I may be too late getting into this game for that to be viable.

Here is something I found in the SF forum with a list of abreaviations.

http://www.sobanforce.com/forums/index. ... wtopic=622

in general it's not a bad post.

Here's a question that may need to start seperate threads.

1. Hyperspaceing. From what i've seen so far this seems to be WAY under used. In HW1 it just cost to damn much to jump so it was never used unless you just somehow ended up with way to much ru for some reason. HWC is was used for spot jumping workers(collectors) to keep them alive on early worker strikes. But in HW2 the cost is next to nothing, especially for tatical jumps (less than 1k) to say quickly get your bc repostioned behind a group of frigs or level with DDs positioned above.

2. Collector repair. Does this just suck so bad that the research and effort to use it is that much less effective than what those collectors could be doing collection wise? There is no other way to repair a frig or cap is there?

3. sensor distortion probe. does this thing work as advertised? what else does it do? how are it's effects countered if at all. "scrambles enemies sensors isn't a good discription"

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 00:38 
Demon

you can just launch a new thread whenever you got a question.
i just made one.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2008, 02:03 
Biting dog

I noticedyou put up a lot more how to vids. Thanks!