It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:49

All times are UTC

Post subject: How to let people call u a plat whore
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 02:13 
Demon

I just figured a decent build to go safe fast ion plat build which should be quite effective in a tight map, if it isnt for emp and lasers which would both screw plat badly, but hope for support or get some gunplats in that case.

its safe because the build includes going double fighters first, and even fast at it, making possibility for early attacks against unalerted players too.

queue a scout, a col and res mod on ms, queue col and plat mod on cc, put the cols on primary patch, leave cc on that patch and move ms forward to closest enemy. this will complete res mod and plat mod with no lag, then queue ion plat research and start fighter mod on both ms/cc and sell plat mod and res mod. now get a mob from cc and start moving cc up. and now just keep pumping fighters till things look safe, while trying to get a plat mod on ms at one point followed by res mod.

ion plat research should be done anytime for ms to start pumping ion plats. sell fighter mod on ms and start getting plat mod on cc if fighters look fine and start double ion platting and sell fighter mod on cc again, so res mod on ms can be built. res mod will lag, so keep pausing and when its done, queue fighter and plat upgrade, and just sell res mod again. then on, just pump ion plat like mad and usually that will pwn any fast torp or poor cc close by.

Post subject: Re: How to let people call u a plat whore
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 02:56 
Demon

lol found a better way right after posted...screw the previous post...
but slightly needs accurate queueing for best performance.

ms - queue scout and plat mod
cc - queue 1 col, res mod and fighter mod

move ms forward while building plat mod to closest enemy. but better sit still till cols are out for maximum efficiency.
cc goes to sit on the primary patch having 7 cols for a moment.

when res mod and plat mod are done, queue ion plat research and start fighter mod on cc and a col and a mob.
when mob is up move cc up while pumping fighters.

queue intie speed 1 upon fighter mod completion (and queue bomber speed 1 and keep it paused in case you need bombers later) and when ion plat research is half done, queue fighter mod on ms.
when ion plat research is done, queue ion plat hull 1 and sell res mod.

go double fighters for a while till ms and cc are in ion plat range of the target. you can also get advanced sensor on ms and hyper sensor on cc without problem at one point.

and at one moment, queue plat mod on cc to go double plat.
then onward, pump ints/bombers/ion plat and screw the closest enemy.

you do not have to sell fighter mod and res mod is never needed since those mods just build without one even if taken down.

this is still possible with 7 cols with slight lag later on, but with proper ru management, i think this is gonna be quite a killer in sarum dust cloud...(hmm even for shield...) maybe one can even stop hyper torp alone by own self... since earliest ion plat can be pumped from 2:50... but at the same time needs proper fighter defense though.

and obviously this becomes cheating more effective if one borrows res mod... as a player only needs to do research, player can return res mod the next second.

--- sarum version ---

double fighter mod, mob from ms, 1 probe 1 col from cc, fighter rush at the fastest possible while getting plat mod on ms. when plat mod is done, borrow res mod (although if the res mod player is going arm right after res mod, one should go plat mod first than fighter mod to borrow res mod at the time it completes) queue ion plat research and when its done, borrow res mod again and queue fighter speed 1, and plat hull 1 and make 8th col at one point and stick it on second patch along with one of the col from primary patch as in sarum primary patch is small. that should get near fastest fighter rush with super fast ion plat to kill enemy gunplats torp cc etc.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 15:47 
Evil Soul

Seems like i'd just go int>pulsar to counter, which would then lead to an interesting game - but ultimately i have 2 more colls than you, held off your assault, and now if i don't skrew up i've got the advantage. ;) And on a map like sarum, this will likely expose your 7colls at the main patch to h-torp since you don't have a gw.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 17:02 
Demon

obviously, no strat works in shield... as theres no help u can get and just simply countering that obvious move makes u win...

but its kinda nice on a tight 2v2 or something i guess.

yeah, no grav, so, maybe i leave a few ion plats there if i can, or hoping the back dude gets some smart bombers to rip it... usually its not the front guy's job to take down those torps...

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 18:54 
Evil Soul

Hrm, i wouldn't go quite so far as to say 'no strat works on shield'. If you can manage to push your opponent off a patch then his 2 more colls wont do him much good if he has say 14 colls and you have 12, since he can only pack 9 or 10 on that home patch, rendering the other 4-5 colls useless. The cost of such a push strat is an extra mob, but if it works then your opponent has build 4-5 colls that will quickly become useless and if that opponent went for a 2nd cc, then that 2nd cc will also become useless since there's no ru to build from it.

So far i haven't had success pushing you off your 2nd patch for long enough to be effective, but i'd like to keep trying to beat the '2 more colls win' rule. But if i'm gonna push you off that patch i can't do something weak like int to 2x ion plats cause its too easy for you to counter that. Thats why i've been working a dd into my attempts, which encourages you to stick w/ adv frigs.

I should note that this 'push' strat is designed for when you feel your opponent has overbuilt colls/cc's/non-attacking units. If you both have 14 colls then it will be easy for you opponent to defend against a push.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2007, 13:41 
Demon

tried it on sarum against some random people, but its pretty tough, since primary patch cant even pack more than 6 cols in there, so, might have to end up making 0 col to start with and add some more on second patch later.

also in shield, other side going 10 cols or so will have them get nearly 5 more fighters to start with, which can be daunting, so, better sit close to the patch and dont move too forward and pump a few gunplats to help along too.

it might be nice in kharam when one guy goes quick res mod and pass it over.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2007, 23:36 
Biting dog

Plats on sarum is not a good choice, anyways. If the guy in front of you went for plats, just move to the center patch and let those plats sit there useless.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 14:58 
Demon

Yea, Sarum is simply too big of a map for plats to be effective agaisnt much. Plats are most effective in small close range to your enemy kinda maps. TFL Mircobond = Plat kingdom. :twisted:

Blessed are the dead
And now you are among them
Delivered form this mortal coil"

-Azrael, Angel of Death

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 17:16 
Demon

well, if u have played front pos in sarum... 50% of the time, i see some kind of plat at one part of the map...
but the thing is, primary patch being gayer, its hard to do. but still nonetheless, if both side going to same patch, this will kill that cc fast, if fighters are handled properly.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2008, 11:48 
Demon

i took a little howto vid on this one.

I did this on kharam wreck with smaller main patch, so it went a little laggy, but i still think its usable which means in sarum, it's usable as well.
it should do a bit better with bigger main patch with 8 cols in most other maps, and obviously it does much better if you borrow res mod from a team mate.

records/Howto-2008-Feb-08-single-patch-double-plat.avi (do save-as, unless you got avi stream plugin with enough bandwidth toward this server)